Sunday 30 June 2013

Music Video Evaluation - Editing Skills


    I think that the editing process for my music video production was rather successful as during the process I found myself using techniques which I had not used before and I found myself trying out new effects which I hadn’t considered before which I wound up trying out on my footage which in the end produced a decent final product. The initial stages of the editing process were slow as I needed to gather up all of my footage and import it into the Bins for me to access, I started to piece the footage together and for most of it I needed to trim it down to just a few seconds per shot, as I pieced it together I initially used jump cuts for all of my footage, however later I decided to add a few dissolving transitions into the sequence just to separate the footage a bit. Along with the jump cuts and dissolve transitions I decided to use “Adjustment Layers” which I had never used before and I had only recently learned how to use them, I placed 2 adjustment layers over the entirety of my video so that I could cut it wherever I needed, these allowed me to add multiple effects to my footage without actually altering the original clips which made it easier for me to view and change effects as I could toggle them on or off which speeded up the process immensely. Using these adjustment layers I decided to add a soft light blend mode onto all of my footage to make it seem brighter and more saturated which seemed to have improved the visual quality, I also had to make some changes to a few clips of footage such as sharpening them to a degree as they appeared blurry and the adjustment layers allowed me to view the effect that this had, however if I tuned the sharpness too high the footage started to distort so I had to keep it to a very low percentage. Some of my footage was also quite shaky as it had been filmed handheld so I corrected this by using a “Warp Stabilizer” effect which made the motion smoother and more stable, while doing this however there were times when it crashed the program and I had to restart and add this effect again but after a while it seemed to correct itself. During the process I’ve found out how to use a wider variety of editing techniques that have made it much easier and faster to edit my footage and I have learned how to speed up the editing using effects which I can change and alter without having to restart if the effect doesn’t work on my footage, I think that overall the editing process has gone well however I think that I could have used more transitions between shots instead of simply using jump cuts as that would have made the video flow smoother and the use of the adjustment layers could have been utilized to a greater extent as it allowed me to do so much more with my footage without fear of ruining the original clip, in future I should make better use of this as well as effects that improve the quality of my footage. To improve I should likely practice editing using these new techniques in order to gain a better understanding of them and this will hopefully help me during future productions.

No comments:

Post a Comment