Sunday 30 June 2013

Music Video Evaluation - Finished Product


      My finished music video production in my opinion turned out better than I expected in my opinion, during the process I had to change many of my plans due to unavailability of willing participants and lack of available locations so I needed to quickly change my concept because of these complications. Initially my idea for the production was more complex which I thought would be more visually appealing, however because I was forced to resort to my contingency I had to plan out an entirely different production, although this did turn out better than I expected. I think that the finished product looks more visually appealing than I expected and the music is timed quite well, although one thing I don’t particularly like is that during playback of the finished video there are sometimes sections where the screen will become static and it will become blurry and lines will appear over most of the screen however I would put this down to an error whilst I was exporting the film. I think that for a contingency plan it came out well as I managed to obtain a variety of different shots of ambient footage which I could use, and with the chosen style of music the shots fit in well, the upbeat positive music along with tranquil shots of nature work well together as the video seems to flow naturally along with the music, which in turn makes the video seem natural as it progresses, and the effects I used work well as the shots transition into each other along with the jump cuts that I used. The fact that there is no clear narrative in my finished product seems to have worked out better than I expected as well as I was able to focus more on getting more visual shots such as close ups and wide establishing shots which would act as the set up for my other footage and this has worked well for me, the video seems to flow nicely with the music and while it makes the video look more simplistic it still appears visually interesting.

     If I were to recreate this I the future I would consider developing a concept that could be applied to the video such as contrasting shots of nature with industrial sites, that could add a greater depth and meaning to the video which could improve it visually and make it seem more interesting. I also think that I would need to gather a wider variety of shots and from during different times of the day to give me a greater range of footage and lighting conditions that I could make use of to improve the video and make it more visual. Another aspect I could improve on is the amount of effects I use to alter the footage as some effects either seem ineffective or just don’t look appealing which I think could be improved upon as it could make my footage look clearer, more colourfull and more aesthetically pleasing. Also for my finished product I had to cut the audio short as I had an insufficient amount of useful footage so I needed to remove at least 30 seconds of the audio in order to make the finished product seem to flow normally, to improve on this I would shoot a greater capacity of footage in order to use the full extent of the audio I choose for the video.

   Overall I think that the finished product turned out to be more visually interesting than I had expected, considering I needed to rethink my ideas during the planning process and ultimately go with a contingency planned seems to have worked out for the better as my video flows well with the music, has a variety of different ambient shots that fits in with the style of music, and it looks visually interesting as the video goes on. While I do think that it could use some improvement I believe it has turned out well and I think that I made the right decision when I made the contingency plan with this idea in mind as it made the process much simpler and easier to achieve in a shorter timeframe, which was essential as I had to perform the production solo, however the finished product surpassed my expectations and I think that it has been done well, although if given the opportunity I would improve it however as it stands I am generally pleased with the finished production.  

No comments:

Post a Comment