Saturday 11 May 2013

Music Video Research Methods - Process


During the research process for this Unit the initial approach was to first analyse the chosen music video texts for common conventions that would link them together such as the artists attitude towards women in the videos, the lyrics and the way in which the women are presented. The next stage was to gather information regarding the themes expressed in the videos, such as the attitude towards women, which would allow me to focus on a topic that I could research and find sources that related to it. I began to collect primary sources of information through the organization of a focus group, where a number of people were shown each music video text and were then asked questions about their thoughts on the videos, what themes or conventions they could see within them and what kind of audience the videos could be intended for. Their answers often went to the objectification of women and the hyper-reality of the artists lifestyle which seemed to be common among all of the texts. I also collected various secondary resources such as a copy of Laura Mulveys Essay “Visual Pleasure and Narrative Cinema” which helped explain the reasons why a certain audience would watch something like an R’n’B music video and the way in which women are presented in certain types of visual media. Other secondary sources included online versions of extracts from Naomi Wolfs book “The Beauty Myth” and Sigmund Freud’s “Three Essays on Sexuality” which all provided useful information regarding attitudes towards women, female sexuality and why an audience would gain visual pleasure from viewing women in the way they are presented in music videos. In addition to this I also used a few websites that either discussed the topic of music videos or had quotes and explanations from the essays I had looked over, which provided me with useful pieces of information quickly, that I otherwise would likely not have spotted. After I gathered this information I needed to cross check its validity before I used any of it within my essay, as incorrect information would be useless when applying it to the texts, so I compared the various theories and information that I found in my secondary resources against each other to try and find a link between them, then I needed to apply them to the music videos I had chosen to analyse in order to prove that the theories were present within the text. I believe that through the research process I gathered a viable amount of resources both primary and secondary however I think that a few more primary sources would have given me more information to work with as well as a few more secondary online sources may have helped me to make my points clearer as some of the information I found was rather repetitive and it was difficult to pick out a decent amount of useful information regarding the theories that could be applied to the music videos.

No comments:

Post a Comment