Wednesday 15 May 2013

Music Video Production - Technical Influence

In order to produce a music video, I need to take influence from a range of sources, to establish different techniques and styles that I could try to replicate within my own production, with the possibility of also finding useful effects which I could use during the editing process.



 The song is called "Carnival of Rust" by Poets of the Fall.

The video features a lot of technical aspects which I could imitate within my own production such as the use of a series of close ups, establishing shots and low camera angles to show the characters within the video, including the use of the tracking shots as the girl is walking. There is also the use of lighting within the video that creates a rather chaotic and dark atmosphere that really helps the setting which I could take into account in my own work, there is also a very surreal aspect within the video which makes it seem bizarre and creepy such as the girl wearing a gas mask, the residents of the carnival and the singer who plays a moving fortune teller. From this video I would likely take influence from the surrealism and the various camera movements and shots when focusing on any characters within my own production.



 This song is "Kanzen Kankaku Dreamer" by ONE OK ROCK

This video is more simple and basic as the entire video shows the band performing their instruments however it does feature a lot of unusual camera angles and techniques. One aspect that I could take form this is the use of close ups and cutaway shots on the artists as they perform, showing their faces, foot movements and their instruments, including long shots from the front and side which shows them all standing in a line and the unusual angles which go from low to high very quickly. One technique I think would be useful for my own production and in the editing process would be the use of cutaway footage which is intertwined with the rest of the video which allows a shot of one of their instruments and their faces to be shown at the same time while also dividing up the shot to make it look more interesting, this is then used with the lighting and develops into a venetian blind effect that casts the performers in shadow. One effect which I could consider would be how the video becomes static like television interference which I could possibly include during the editing process to break up the shot and make it seem more interesting,another effect is the use of black and white and the lack of color in the video which I think would possibly make my own video production more varied.

No comments:

Post a Comment